My Feelings on the Current Generation Consoles (PS4, XBONE, WiiU)

Currently, I don't own any current generation consoles as I'm a hermit living in the past.  The real reason is that I'm a poor college student who doesn't have 400 dollars to blow on a console, thought I'd really love to through money at either Nintendo or Sony for their respective consoles.  That being said, I did leave out a key player in my desire to own a current generation console.

The Xbox One is a system that personally, I didn't think would be as successful as it was.  The biggest thing was the lack of respect and care Microsoft had for its fanbase at the beginning of its strides to sell the Xbox One.  The Xbox One's famous flop at E3 2013 was one that I thought would literally kill the system, and show the fans of Microsoft who they truly are.  If you couldn't tell, I'm not the biggest Microsoft fan, and here's the reason why.  While I own a PC and people might call me a hypocrite for hating Microsoft, you have to bear in mind that those are two separate divisions of the company.
The Xbox One Console
The PC side that develops windows has nothing to do with the fact that their games division is utter trash (and let it be known that if any Linux operating system comes along that can handle video gaming in a stable manner, I'd switch in a heartbeat). Personally, I don't like Microsoft because of its claimed superiority to Sony, when in reality Sony has the better hardware and software in most cases.  The Playstation 3 was in every way superior to the Xbox 360, however, because most people paid for their Xbox Live subscription, they were bound to defend it.  People will come back and retaliate with the whole story of "Sony got hacked, their network was down for months at a time, and personal information was leaked from their service." While all of that is undoubtedly true, Microsoft got hacked twice during that time and just as much personal information was leaked from Microsoft as it was from Sony.  But people turned a blind eye to all of this because Sony was taking all of the flak for it.  There is a gigantic double standard in the gaming industry concerning Microsoft and Sony and it pisses me off.  Microsoft has a blatant disrespect for its consumers, as could be seen at E3 2013, and Sony definitely has less of that.  Sony has pretty much had the superior hardware and software for years, people just never really paid attention to Sony because all of their friends were playing Xbox.  Personally, I don't want an Xbox One because I don't want to support a company that I do not respect or like as a company, but don't let me deter you from buying one yourself.  Your financial decision is your financial decision, but I know what systems I'd be spending my money on.

One of the systems would undoubtedly be the Wii U.  Before I go any further, many people are going to discredit what I am saying due to the fact that I just dissed Xbox and I know want a Wii U.  There is reason for this, and it is very different than many other people's reasoning.  At heart, I'm a casual gamer, I like the light natured games that are literally just made to have a good time.  I like the bright games that make the player feel good, and that is definitely what Nintendo brings to the table with the Wii U.  With the Wii U's library of Super Mario 3D Land, Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. (which I don't really enjoy [I know right, I don't like smash? What a shocker]), and many other games that are made for the player to have a good time.  I've always had a massive respect for Nintendo for putting their players first, Shagiru Miyamoto, General Manager of Nintendo, has always been a gaming-centric person and loves watching his games come to life and he loves watching people enjoy them even more.
The Wii U Console
That's something that Microsoft doesn't have and never will have with their attitude on gaming.  This reason is one of the reasons I love Nintendo, because they are genuine.  They genuinely care about their consumers and they want to make quality games so that their consumers will be not only satisfied with their purchase, but satisfied with their game.  In this day in age, it takes a lot to impress a gamer, and Nintendo seems to have no trouble doing so, except for the occasional console flop.  By occasional, I mean they are becoming more and more frequent as time goes on, and that's a tragedy.  A big reason why the Wii U is a joke to people is because Nintendo almost innovated too much with the console.  The idea of a tablet with a  console was new, and with the current concept of what a tablet is going against the Wii U tablet, was pretty confusing to some consumers.  The 3DS has done well, but not well enough in the eyes of Nintendo.  This may be due to the misconception that the 3D mechanic of these systems always have to be on, which is part of the reason Nintendo made the decision to develop the 2DS, a system that completely takes out the 3D capability that the 3DS was famous for.  Another reason for the 3DS' partial failure was because of the handheld conception and the market.  This day in age is really the first age in which handheld games (excluding Pokemon) are actually good.  The graphics are just beginning to get appealing and the hardware is just beginning to get strong enough to support titles that are larger in size.  As this trend continues, the handheld market will begin to saturate itself, which is another problem with the 3DS.  While it is a good system, there is a definite lack of good games for it.  As this handheld trend continues, however, the market and the technology will grow and hopefully, the handheld systems will begin to become more relevant.  However, despite these shortcomings, Nintendo still strives to make the best games possible for its consumer, and that is where my love for Nintendo lies.  It may not be the strongest competitor in the console race, but its heart is definitely in it, and at the end of the day, that is what a games studio should have.

The other system I would love to have on my desk is a Sony Playstation 4.  This is due to the fact that I have pretty much been a Sony guy my entire life (this may explain any partialities I may have toward Sony.), I owned a Playstation 1, graduated to a Playstation 2, upgraded to a Playstation 3, and will hopefully acquire the strong hardware that is the Playstation 4 soon enough.  One of the big reasons I want this system is obviously to play current gen games on a current gen console.
The Playstation 4 Console
 My Playstation 3 can't play the latest and greatest at their greatest, and even if i do get the PS3 version of a current gen game, there are key features taken out.  I understand the marketing behind this method, because they are intentionally downgrading these games on the last generation because they want to sell the current generation.  It is definitely a method that works, because I'd be lying if I said it didn't work on me.  Fallout 4, WWE 2k16 (yes, I'm one of those), Infamous: Second Son, all of those games are ones that I've wanted to play, but don't have the technology for.  If they came out for PC (which Fallout 4 did, I'm just poor) then I wouldn't have that much of a problem, I'd just be behind in the times like I always am.  For now, however, I will have to suffice with the 150 steam games (yup, I do have that many) and like 8 PS3 games that I have in my college dorm until I can bestow upon myself the magic that is the Playstation 4.

Hope you guys enjoyed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratchet and Clank Trivia/Interesting Facts

Who Would Win? (Battle I) Crash Bandicoot VS Spyro the Dragon

Superhero Spotlight #1: The Green Lantern (DC Comics)