My Top 10 Favorite Playstation 2 Games

So the Playstation 2 was my lifeblood as a kid.  I would come home from school and spend the entire afternoon and evening on that thing until I went to bed that night.  It was the best system that I have ever owned, and it provided me with some amazing memories.  That's why I wanted to make a list of my top 10 favorite Playstation 2 games and share it with you all.  However, keep in mind that I wasn't able to play every game on the Playstation 2 and that this list is just my personal opinion, it is not the end all be all of gaming.  So with that in mind, let's count 'em down!

10. WWE Smackdown VS RAW 2007

It is pretty much for this game and this game alone that I put that disclaimer in the beginning of the article, as pretty much no one else has this game on any Top 10 Playstation games list, especially because it was a game that was available across platforms.  However, I gave this game an honorary place on my list simply because of the sheer amount of time I played this game.  I swear to god, I literally played this game and this game alone for more time than I have any other video game in my life combined, and if I am exaggerating that conclusion, it is only by a small margin.  When I said I came home from school and played video games until bed, it was this game for a solid 2 years. Calculating at least 6 hours between the end of school and bed for 2 years equals 4,320 hours, which comes out to about 182 and a half days.  182 days of my life I have spent playing this game.  That, my friends, is something to behold and it is the sole reason that this game made my personal list. 



9. Kingdom Hearts II

So this game.  This game hits anyone right in the feels.  That, as well as the inclusion of Disney characters from the previous game in the franchise as well as the inclusion of new ones, as well as the dynamic and awesome worlds that were including made my childhood.  The captivating story and the excellent chemistry between all of the characters in the game makes for an awesome experience for any gamer that loves RPGs, and especially gamers who had their childhoods made by Disney.


8. Jak 3

So the Jak and Daxter series has always been one of my favorite video game series of all time, and I definitely feel like Jak 3 is the strongest in the original Jak trilogy.  Made by the same developers who made my favorite video game franchise of all time, Crash Bandicoot (Naughty Dog), Jak and Daxter was Naughty Dog's next endeavor into the video game world.  See, this is one of those games that you have to go play for yourself to understand how great it is, much akin to a lot of the games on this list.  Jak 3 had such a satisfying story accompanied with the wide array of weapons that were just awesome to wield and control, as well as the comedic factor that Daxter brings to the table.  All of these aspects of this game combined makes for a truly awesome action-adventure game with nearly infinite replayability value.  The game is just...awesome.


7. Bully

So I actually fooled my parents into getting me this game instead of Grand Theft Auto because they were very anti-Grand Theft Auto at the time.  The reason I 'fooled' my parents into getting me this game was because this game is truly the kid's version of a Grand Theft Auto game.  Made by the same developer of the Grand Theft Auto games, Bully takes place is a private school and has many of the same aspects as Grand Theft Auto has.  It has the villain that everyone loves to hate (Gary), the dorky sidekick that everyone can't help but love (Petey) and over-the-top obstacles and objectives as well as roundabout storylines to make the game interesting and compelling. In standard Rockstar fashion, they had to add sidequests and other things to do instead of the main story.  In this game, this came in the form of classes, which actually were really fun (Actually The one time I actually wanted to go to class was in this game.)  Amazingly, all of these dynamics work and make one hell of a game that can be played over and over again and never get boring.


6. Sly Cooper 2

Sly Cooper.  Oh my god Sly Cooper.  This little racoon and his theiving friends stole my heart at first glance.  Sly's cocky attitude, Bentley's brains, and Murray's muscle definitely made me connect with the trio, but it wasn't just how they looked and how they acted that made me fall in love with this game.  It was the mechanics, it was the gameplay, it was the plotline, it was the chemistry between the characters, and it was the fact that at some points, everything was on the line.  From family legacies to the world, this game put everything they could think of on the line for the player to play through and become attatched to.  If you have never played a Sly Cooper game, I suggest you go and play them right now because they are simply put...amazing.


5. Ratchet and Clank Going Commando

Sly Cooper's gang may have won my heart as a trio, but Ratchet and Clank was the duo that won my heart.  The polar opposites that were Ratchet and Clank; Ratchet being very cocky and fun-loving and Clank being very to the point and logical, made a fantastic team.  The chemistry between the two, the over-the-top weapons that were in the game such as the Sheepinator, which turns your enemies into sheep (this weapon can also be upgraded to the Black Sheepinator, which turns your enemies inot sheep that explode), the Ryno II, which fires ludicrously powerful rockets at your enemies at rapid speed, and a giant mecahnical boxing glove called the Walloper, among many other ludicrous weapons are what made this game awesome.  That, and the Title of the game of course.


4. God of War II

This game was literally the most graphic game that I have ever played in my life.  And it. was. AWESOME! Going around Olympus, hell itself, Sparta, and everywhere else in between to slaughter everything from mythical creatures to the gods themselves was just so damn satisfying.  Watching those mystical axes, swords, and chains of Kratos swing from his hands and just demolish anything in his path, watching him rip out the eyes of cyclopses, watching him rip off the head of Apollo and use it as a flashlight, every little bit of this game was just pure satisfaction.  I don't know if that is the secret psychopath in me finding catharsis in a game or if that is just how everyone feels, but regardless, it was awesome.


3. Tony Hawk's Underground

So this was one of the first games that I had every played for the PS2, as I was an avid player of the Tony Hawk games from the Playstation 1.  This game expanded everything I knew about Tony Hawk games and took my knowledge and experience to a whole new level.  Not only did this game add in the basic new tricks for the new installment, but it actually added in a story mode in which you played as your own created skater and try to make it big in the professional world of skating.  This game was unlike any skating game at the time and truly redifined and revolutionized the genre for future installments to come.


2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

So as I grew older I was finally able to convince my parents that video games don't turn people into psychopaths and murderers.  (Actually it was mainly in part that I had gotten my hands on God of War by this time, and they had seen what was inside that game and figured, this game can't be very much worse, so thanks God of War II for that.).  This game was my first introduction into the Grand Theft Auto universe and I loved every second of it.  From actually doing the missions and progressing through the games to shooting down people on the sidewalk, to doing the car jumps over and over again, to going into that one bar that everyone goes into over and over again to zoom in on the boobies of the entertainers through the sniper rifle, I credit this game into getting me into more hardcore video games.


1. Shadow of the Colossus

Alright.  I know you all saw this coming.  I know for a fact that this game is on everyone's Top 10 Playstation 2 games list, hell it is on most people's Top 10 video games of all time lists!  And for good reason! This game is such an exemplary masterpiece that makes you feel emotions you didn't know you could feel.  You are confused throughout most of your journey, and the ending is what absolutely rips your heart out.  I don't want to spoil anything because this game is truly best played blind, and if you haven't played this game for yourself then you honestly and truly cannot call yourself a video gamer.  Just...go play it. For your own sake go play this game.




What are your Top 10 Playstation 2 games?
Let me know in the comments!
Be sure to check out my youtube channel where I play retro games every weekend and post videos every day!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8pOw53ksNPrESGienBKtrw

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratchet and Clank Trivia/Interesting Facts

Who Would Win? (Battle I) Crash Bandicoot VS Spyro the Dragon

Superhero Spotlight #1: The Green Lantern (DC Comics)